I finished quilting maple leaves in all 24 rail fence blocks of my wall hanging—yay!
And more good news…after a whole lot of dinking around in Electric Quilt, I finally figured out how to quilt the tree blocks for this project.
Cool, yes? Actually, it’s a huge relief because I didn’t think I would ever finish this little project for lack of a quilting plan and a years’ long mental block in coming up with one. What in the world was so hard about it? I still don’t know.
At one point, I quilted continuous curves in the background triangles and rectangles of four of the blocks, but ended up ripping it all out.
While I was satisfied with the technical quality of the stitches, I just didn’t like the way it looked. Seriously, this quilt was going to have to be re-named from something romantic like Trails Among the Pines to Arrested Development if I couldn’t get it together.
Now, with this major hurdle cleared, crossing the finish line is a reality. Getting there sure wasn’t easy, but I learned some things about editing quilt motifs in EQ, so it was worth it.
I started by importing this stencil design from the block library into the sketchbook for my project.
Once in the sketchbook, you can highlight the stencil design and click on the edit button to put it on the worktable.
Once it’s on the worktable, you can find out to what extent the motif is editable.
Click on the Pick tool and click around inside the design to understand how the motif has been sectioned; some stencils in the library contain one section, limiting your ability to edit them.
The motif I chose had four sections and I eliminated three of them by clicking on each section with the Pick tool to highlight it and then pressing the Delete key.
With one section of the motif left on the worktable, now I could start editing it.
First, I moved the motif to the center of the block.
Then I rotated it 45 degrees to orient it to an upright position.
Electric Quilt also lets you flip vertically and horizontally, but in this instance, neither was necessary.
Once the motif looks the way you want it to, save it to the sketchbook, then you can return to your quilt layout and place the edited motif inside.
One thing that helped, once I caught on, was to reduce the block size for the motif before saving it to the sketchbook so it would be easier to size once inside the layout.
The original block size of the stencil motif was 14 inches—notice how much empty space there is around the one section that was retained and centered.
My blocks are only six inches square, so I reduced the stencil motif block to three inches square. This made it much easier to drag it around within the layout, work around other motifs under consideration and size it within the block.
Now I’d better get back to it. Thanks for stopping by!