There is no better activity in life than making something. I ignored fabric and thread last weekend and played with three generations of buttons: mom’s, grandma’s, and mine. I found some cute ideas online and made four new ornaments for the Christmas tree:
I started with a package of four 3½-inch diameter plywood circles from the craft store.
John cut a 2-inch diameter circle from the middle of each one, leaving a ¾-inch rim for the buttons.
First, all the buttons got a quick bath in dish soap and warm water. Then I sorted them by color, setting aside the most interesting ones for the top layer of each wreath.
Instead of hot glue, I used a size 4 flat/shader paint brush to apply tacky glue to the underside of each button.
The tacky glue dries clear, plus I didn’t want to deal with globs and strings of hot glue on such small pieces, some as little as ¼ to ⅜ of an inch.
For the first layer, I used a combination of large and medium sized buttons, generally picking the less attractive buttons or ones that I had a lot of since they were going to be covered anyway.
The bottom layers generally needed between 25 to 30 buttons.
The second layer was created by covering the gaps between buttons in the bottom layer. As much as possible, I tried to evenly distribute the buttons by size, value (light/medium/dark), and finish (shiny vs. matte).
The tacky glue always came up through the holes in the buttons, but it dried clear, so it wasn’t an issue.
I used a wire cutter to clip off the shanks from buttons that had them.
It was fun to go through all the buttons and see the prices on the cards, and recall clothes my mom made for me in junior high and high school. I also enjoyed my grandma’s notes. She would write on the card where she bought her buttons and when:
I hope you’re having fun making something, too!