An abnormal (but most welcomed) 20-degree drop in temperature and reduced humidity in the middle of last week made our cabinet/trim walk through with the builder and trim carpenter so much easier. Things went pretty smoothly, although we sensed that the trim carpenter was none too happy when he realized that he will not be outfitting every closet or the kitchen pantry; nor will he be constructing any built-ins other than in the mud room.
After the walk through, we were about to head home to get ready for work when the truck with the first load of our brick rumbled down the street:
The next day, I emailed Rhonda a photo
with a quick message, “Hey, we got brick!” and she returned the photo, marked up, with a comment:
After I told her it was the dryer vent she responded quickly with a serious tone in her email, insisting that a dryer vent sticking out of the front of the house is a huge aesthetic no-no, and that the builder must re-direct it through the roof or the side of the house, and why wasn’t this done to begin with? She was so worked up, she called me later at home.
John ran down to the house to have a closer look and when he got back said, “I don’t know how everyone missed it, but there’s a second vent coming out of the front of the house for an exhaust fan.” We notified the project manager later that night with a request to move them. Interesting how a single photo can reveal what has been in plain view all along, yet still went unnoticed.
In the meantime, more siding was delivered which will be used to fashion the columns on the front porch. And the patio doors were delivered and installed.
We also turned in a first draft of our flatwork plan, which I will show in a future post.
This weekend was phase two of trash/garbage/dust collection in anticipation of cabinet delivery. As diligent as I’ve been about tossing water bottles, pop cans and other trash from inside the walls, I still found the top half of a water bottle between two studs, inside where a cased opening will be—in addition to the expected quantity of drywall nails, screws and dust. I also pulled a snack wrapper from under a piece of drywall, and then there was this: