I love fall, not only for the beautiful colors
and cooler temperatures the season gives us, but also for baked treats like this apple loaf which I made yesterday:
I always double the recipe. One for now, three to go into the freezer for later.
I don’t know where my mom got this recipe, but we love it so I thought I would share it with you:
1. Peel, core and cut into bite sized chunks 3-4 Granny Smith apples (enough to yield 4 cups)
2. Measure 2/3 cup walnuts and set aside.
3. Grease and flour two loaf pans.
4. Sift together:
- 3-1/3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
5. Combine in large mixing bowl:
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
6. Beat the ingredients in #5 together until well blended.
7. Add flour mixture. (Batter will be very stiff).
8. Stir in apples and nuts.
9. Divide batter equally between the two loaf pans.
10. Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
11. Cool 10 minutes and turn out onto cooling racks.